Nov 19, 2020
Episode Summary: In this week’s episode, we’re
going to be talking about how to be thankful for the little things
in life when the big things seem to be falling down around us. I
remember a time when God spoke to my heart and was really
challenging me to examine my heart and answer the question, do I
trust God in ALL things? Today, as we approach what is generally
considered a holiday at which time we give thanks, He challenges us
to thank Him for ALL things. This is a tall order. So we’re going
to be talking about how to do that.
Quotables from the episode:
- One of the best ways to be thankful for the little things is to
remember the grateful prayers of our children.
- It’s easy to thank God when things are going well. It’s a
sacrifice to thank God when things are hard.
- How can we flip the narrative in our mind and be thankful for
the hard situations? The snoring means he is breathing, the dirty
socks on the floor mean our children are home, the dishes in the
sink mean we have food to eat.
- Looking at the lack of others will stir gratitude in our hearts
for what we have that others don’t.
- This is a very unusual year. Sometimes it isn’t just a matter
of what we have to be thankful for, but who we
can be thankful to.
- Tips for practicing gratitude when you don’t feel like it:
- Appreciate the kindness of others
- Shift your focus away from the pain
- Be thankful for learning opportunities
- (more tips given in the podcast)
- God honors our gratitude, our thankfulness, our praise,
especially when it is an offering and we don’t “feel like it.”
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18 Never stop praying. Be
thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who
belong to Christ Jesus.
- Matthew 18:3 Then he said, “I tell you the
truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little
children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is our sun and
our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The LORD will withhold no
good thing from those who do what is right.
- Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but
in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your
requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which
surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds
in Christ Jesus.
Social Media Links for Host:
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s
Grip / Order Book Hope Prevails /
/ Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson)
/ LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson