Jul 1, 2021
As a board certified clinical neuropsychologist, I can say with
a fair degree of confidence that probably everyone can relate to
experiencing shame and disappointment. We’ve all had high hopes and
expectations that didn’t turn out the way we wanted, and we’ve all
experienced shame over what we’ve done or said, or failed to do, or
because we haven’t met our own or others’ expectations for us. In
this episode, we are talking with guest counselor and coach Tina
Yeager about hope for overcoming discouragement or shame.
Quotables from the episode:
- It is the enemy of our soul who seeks to get us to isolate
ourselves when we are not meant to be isolated.
- I thought that if I starved myself, I would become acceptable
to those around me.
- My self-esteem improved when I really came to realize that it
was God who made me loveable, and He made me worthy.
- God created each of us to fulfill a specific purpose.
- God’s standard for success is our obedience, while it’s the
world who says that to be successful we have to look or behave in a
certain way or accomplish certain things.
- Self-esteem and shame often result from our negative self-talk,
especially when we exaggerate our failures by saying “I always…” or
- Self-esteem and shame often result from the fear of “not being
enough.” But God says He has made us enough.
- Knowing something is a lie really comes back to knowing what
the truth is.
- Comparison often breeds shame, discouragement, and low
self-esteem and is rooted in comparing our worst day to someone
else’s best day.
- Ephesians 2:10 NIV: “For we are God’s
workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God
prepared in advance for us to do.”
- Philippians 1:6 NIV: “He who began a good work
in you will carry it on to completion.”
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13-14: NIV “From the
beginning God chose you to be saved. . . that you might share in
the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
- 1 Corinthians 12:27 NIV: “You are the body of
Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.”
- Matthew 22:37-39 NIV: “‘Love the Lord your God
with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like
it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”
Social Media Links for Host and Guest:
To connect with Tina Yeager:
Twitter / Instagram / LinkedIn / Pinterest
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip /
Order Book Hope Prevails /
/ Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson)
/ LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Award-winning author, speaker, licensed counselor, and life
coach, Tina hosts the Flourish-Meant podcast and publishes
Inkspirations Online, a devotional for writers.
Yeager also serves on the Christian Authors Network board, as a
mentor with Word Weavers International, and as an active member of
Come visit her for a virtual cup of java online at
tinayeager.com. Beautiful Warrior: Finding Victory over the Lies
Formed Against You helps women identify and fulfill their potential
as they discover Christ-centered significance.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson