Mar 17, 2022
In this episode, I talk with my friend, Donna Fagerstrom, about how
to deal with grief. Donna shares the truths she learned during her
own grief journey and in walking with others through the grieving
process. We can maintain our hope, because Jesus is our hope, and
become an overcomer through the tough times.
Quotables from the episode:
- The gift of mercy is feeling another’s pain as though it were
your very own.
- When we grieve or mourn, it attests to the degree we loved
someone or something.
- After most every loss, we experience grief.
- The fact that Jesus wept after Lazarus died, knowing He was
going to bring him back to life again, modeled the healthy nature
and the gift of grief God gave us.
- We need to give ourselves permission to grieve.
- When we stuff our grief, it will end up coming out at another
albeit less expected and less appropriate time.
- We don’t grieve like people who don’t know Jesus. Our grief
leads to our hope and our hope leads to Jesus. The hope of Heaven
is our great comfort.
- Our hope here is temporal, but our hope in Heaven is for all
- There are so many different ways we have experienced grief,
loss, and mourning over the past couple of years.
- Don’t stand in judgment when others grieve…it’s a very
- The example of the thief on the cross when Jesus died can
comfort us when we don’t know where a loved one will spend
- There’s no right or wrong way to grieve—only the best way for
- If you haven’t given yourself permission to grieve, you will
just beat yourself up by putting unrealistic expectations on
- Don’t let others put their expectations on you for how you
should grieve or how long it will take. Be gentle and kind with
- In your grief, seek out those who have the gift of mercy and a
willingness to listen.
- Jeremiah 31:3 "I will turn their mourning into
gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow, says
- Psalm 34:18 "The Lord is close to the
brokenhearted and He saves those who are crushed in spirit."
- Hebrews 13:5 "Never will I leave you; never
will I forsake you."
Social Media Links for Guest and Host
Connect with Donna Fagerstrom:
Facebook / Instagram
For more hope, stay connected with Dr. Bengtson at:
Order Book Breaking Anxiety’s Grip /
Order Book Hope Prevails /
/ Facebook / Twitter (@DrMBengtson)
/ LinkedIn / Instagram / Pinterest / YouTube
Born and raised in West Michigan, Donna Fagerstrom was
spiritually impacted by Holland Youth for Christ, surrendering her
life to God and full-time ministry. Donna is a gifted writer,
communicator, worship leader and women’s disciple-maker. Her alma
mater, Cornerstone University, awarded her the Woman of Influence
award in 2010. After serving for 49 years in a variety of
life-engaging ministries (Local Church; Seminary; Church Planting
and Marketplace Chaplaincy), Doug and Donna have retired to write,
coach executive leaders and nurture their family.
Hosted By: Dr. Michelle Bengtson
Audio Technical Support: Bryce Bengtson